Monday, December 7, 2009

Weekend Review

We spent some time this weekend kicking off holiday baking. It was lovely - the kids and I baking and singing along while The Husband played Christmas songs. We drank eggnog (nom!) and watched Frosty the Snowman.










 





 

Baking didn't go so well though. Some frustration. Some mistakes. Rock hard brownies. Oh well, there's always next weekend. 

We haven't gotten our tree yet, this weekend I think. And no snow, really. It's odd to not have snow yet. We've had a dusting once or twice and that's it. I don't even like snow and I'm itching to get a good storm. It just doesn't feel like Christmas without it.

Still working away at Christmas gifts. We picked up a kitchen set for Colin at a thrift store (this is a whole 'nother post, one I've been wanting to get at for a while and even have saved as a draft - thrift stores and gifting and things but . . .) we got a 5 piece solid wood set for 16 dollars. It's gorgeous. I couldn't believe the price on it. It needs just a little cleaning, maybe some sanding in a spot or two and I might paint just a bit. It's in really good condition over all though.

I remember I got Evan a kitchen, he wanted one so bad when he was a toddler. I was so, so broke back then but I found him one, pink and blue for Christmas one year and he loved it. I really like that they make gender neutral ones now. Colin is 6 so starting to get a little on the older side for the play set, he'll outgrow it in a year or two, but the price and condition were too good to pass it up. He'll love it for now, and we have plenty of friends to pass it on to when the time comes.

So I've been working on felt food. So far I have felt cut out for doughnuts and oranges and strawberries. Ravioli and lollipops. I also plan on doing pancakes, butter pats, cupcakes and pies. I cut out all the pieces yesterday and sat down to sew some before work.

My sewing machine was being highly uncooperative. After about 45 minutes I had sewn half a doughnut. Really, it should have taken about 10 seconds. I don't know if the problem is my machine or me. But I was doing all sorts of grumbling and cursing. So I stopped. I'll just handsew them over the next few days. These gifts are supposed to be made with love. Not with frustration and cursing.


 Still have 3 robes, one pair of pajama pants (no, two), and a dollhouse to make too. I can't believe it's the 7th already!



1 comment:

Sara said...

Great pictures!!! Looking forward to seeing your thrift store find. You are ambitious, that is a lot of sewing over the next few weeks. Go go go!!!