Thursday, May 20, 2010

oh, bugs.

Our house was built in the mid-1800's. The previous owner bought it about 25 years ago, and it was totally gutted when he got it. The only thing original is the ballon structure and the cellar.

Our cellar is a real celler, for - you know, cellering and things. It's got thick stone walls, and trees for beams.







I love it. It's not at all practical or usable for any kind of living space and that's a bummer. But it's got character. Charm, probably not. But definetly character.


We built some shelves, and The Husbands work bench is down there. We have the cool cellar doors like I always wanted, leading to the side yard. It's perfect for storing our homemade wine, and I hope eventually to use it as a food cellar.










I was doing some yard work today, enjoying the gorgous day, and coming out by the cellar doors I saw this.





Now, it's quite possible I just haven't noticed that wood like that before, but I doubt it. The wood feels soft, almost wet. And it's, like, 200 year old wood (so totally petrified and solid).




I think we have termites. I didn't see any bugs, but what else would do that? Which kinda ticks me off. These beams have been here for ages, we've lived here less than a year and termites might have moved in? What the heck are we doing wrong?! We're renting this house until we can buy it, so I contacted the owner. Well, e-mailed him. And I'll see him at work tomorrow. My head is spinning at the thought of what the cost might be. Thank goodness for the summer raise, eh? And now I feel creepy crawly thinking there are bugs eating our basement beams. Ew.

Anyone have experience with termites, is this what it looks like? Does it cost a fortune to treat them?


UPDATE: It's not termites. The guy knew exactly what I was talking about. Apparently I'm just not very observant and never noticed it! It happened years  and years ago, apparently the house was abandoned for a period of time. He already had someone come in and reinforce support beams - so we're good to go! Remember how I said I worried too much?! :)

3 comments:

Cari said...

From what I can remember, termite damage doesn't look like that. I could be wrong though. It just looks like it got really wet and has been rotting. I'm sure that doesn't make you feel any better. But, whenever I've seen termite damage, I've seen termites.

Sparkless said...

Looks like something called dry rot. I hope it's not too bad and doesn't cost too much to fix.

Sara said...

We lived in a house with a real cellar. It gave me the heebeejeebees. Glad you don't have a current termite problem. That would suck balls.