Sunday, May 30, 2010

quote for the week


A successful marriage requires falling in love many times, always with the same person.  ~Mignon McLaughlin, The Second Neurotic's Notebook, 1966





Last year at this time, I was still in a hazy bliss from our wedding. Tomorrow we'll be entering our second (edit: wait, third, right? Second anniversary, entering third. . .) year of marriage and headed into our ninth year together. 


The above quote has been one of my favorites for years. I do believe it to be true. Every relationship, every marriage has it's up's and down's. I'm envious of people who have been together for years and are every day madly, passionately in love. That's something truly special and amazing. But it hasn't always been like that for us. And so that quote has stayed with me. Some days, some years, are harder than others. Sometimes our relationship takes work. But it always circles around, and I always come back feeling more in love than before. 

I know that the good old days weren't always so good. And just because the divorce rate was lower, didn't mean that people were happier. I know that there was abuse, and infidelity and loveless marriages then - just as there are today. And no one, ever should feel they need to stay in those situations. But I wonder if sometimes people end relationships and end marriages too quickly, and sometimes if they stuck it out - they'd fall back in love again?

3 comments:

Little Messy Missy said...

Happy Anniversary...I hope you do something fun!

Sara said...

Happy Anniversary!!!

Yes, it takes work to keep falling in love with the same person. Some days, some weeks are hard, but you keep trucking and loving that person at the end of the hard times and into the good times has to be worth it.

Unknown said...

Oh wow, I still remember you posting pictures of your dress and stuff as you were planning your wedding! I can't believe it has been over two years!!!