Tuesday, September 14, 2010

pumpkin pie spice coffee

Dunkin Donuts pumpkin pie spice coffee is one of my guilty pleasures. It's been cool and windy and very fall here lately, so I indulged in one the other day.

The carb and sugar counts are pretty high though, and I wanted to be able to make a version at home. After I was unable to find a copycat recipe online, I gave it a shot making one up this morning.

I mixed 1/2 cup heavy cream and 1/2 cup local whole milk and whisked over med-high heat till hot and frothy. Frothy is a fun word, isn't it? Then I added 2 tablespoons pumpkin pie spice and 2 teaspoons xylitol. added coffee and two cinnamon sticks.

 there are cinnamon sticks, they just sunk down to the bottom and weren't cooperating for the picture!

I fully expected pumpkin pie deliciousness.

What I got was coffee and cream with a bit of a spicy bite. No pumpkin. No autumn delicious goodness.

Wah!


So I added another tsp of xylitol and another teaspoon of pumpkin pie spice. Nothing.




Shoot. Soooooo, as I sit here sipping my pretty unsatisfying drink I'm wondering what went wrong? Maybe because my pie spice is a year old?


Doing some quick searches on good ol' google, I found this recipe:

pumpkin spice latte

it calls for adding actually pumpkin, genius!

I'm going to make it tomorrow, I think. I'll make a few changes -and yes, I'll use canned pumpkin, even though I could use actual pumpkin because this week is too busy as is. But if it's a success, I'll definitely try real pumpkin next time. I already can't wait!


 is 3 pictures of one mediocre cup of coffee excessive? Nah, not when there's a kitty about!

Do you have a favorite fall drink?

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I pretty much love pumpkin ANYTHING.

I really live for when they bring out the Pumpkin Spice Latte's at Starbuck's. I need to learn how to make them since they are pricey, but I loooooove them so.

I love the coffee/kitty picture though, that is so adorable!