Thursday, May 21, 2009

Stuff.

Somehow over the last couple of years, I have accumulated a lot of stuff.

I've always been a bit of a pack rat. My mom is too. Maybe it's hereditary.

I used to just keep things. Old papers. College reports. Notebooks.

But for the last couple of years I've been buying things.

I never spend much, which I think makes it easier to let it slide. I shop clearance racks. Thrift stores. Rummage sales.

It's a little bit of a problem. I know this, I do. Part of it is I like the thrill of a great find. Another part of it is, what if I need it someday? I may not have needed it yet in 5 years. I may not be able to even find it if I DO ever need it. But what if I do need it someday, and then I don't have it?!

I stock up too. Which isn't really a bad thing. But I have no rhyme or reason or system. Stocking up- being, prepared, that's a good thing. But I need to be more organized about it.

I also have a lot of hobbies. Hobbies that I have a lot of supplies for. Scrapbooking. Sewing. I made a promise to myself a while ago that I wouldn't bring anything new in until I use a good amount of what I have. I've been doing really good with not getting more fabric and notions. But I've also been slacking at using up my existing stash.

I also collect things. My biggest collection right now is cookbooks. Man, how I love them. Not only do I get the thrill of finding a great cookbook for cheap (thrift and used book stores) but I also get OLD cookbooks. AND I get to use them, you know, for cooking and things :D They are useful. But I do have too many. I just love them. I love books in general, but I really adore old cookbooks. They say so much about the time period, the way people lived. I especially like cookbooks with a previous owners notes in the margins. They are something special.

:sigh:


Whittling down that collection has not been easy.

It's strange how I get attached to things. Clothes. Toys. Games. Books. Photos. Just things. Lots and lots of things.

I've tried to scale down and get rid of some things. But I always find more. Another great thrift deal I couldn't pass up. Or it was free! Or the kids made it! Or, or, or!

When we move. It's going. A lot of it. I don't like the feeling of clutter. I don't like the cleaning of clutter. We're making a lot of changes. And this is one for me. It will NOT be an easy one!

But I'm ready to start clean. And clutter free.

2 comments:

Sara said...

Clutter free is good. Do it! And don't pack it and take it! LOL Watch Clean House with Ms. Neicy. ;)

gardenofsimple said...

omg - I LOVE clean house! We only get basic cable and the channel with clean house is one that we get. Evan and I are addicted to that show! :D