Monday, June 21, 2010

Fathers Day Desserts

For fathers day yesterday I experimented with variations on two common desserts.



The first is one of  my husbands (and kids!) favorites. Simple, easy, chocolate pudding pie with whipped cream and graham cracker crust.

For years I've used pre-made crust, pudding and whipped cream - yesterday I did it all from scratch. The pudding was a little firmer than I would have liked, not quite as creamy. I think I'll mess around with it and try to adjust it to a creamier texture.

Chocolate Pudding Pie





Graham Cracker Crust

1.5 cup crushed graham crackers
1/4 cup melted butter
1/3 cup sugar (I used sucant)

Mix all ingredients, spread into greased pie pan and up sides. Bake at 350 for about 8 minutes.


Whipped Cream

I've heard that it helps to chill the bowl and beaters in the freezer for 10-15 minutes before whipping the cream. You're supposed to whip until the cream forms soft peaks - but I can never tell. I think I stopped just a little too soon in fear of over beating.


1 cup cream
3 tbs sugar
dash of vanilla (optional)

Whip 2-3 minutes or until soft peaks form.


Chocolate Pudding

recipe found at recipezaar

6 tablespoons sugar
4 tablespoons cornstarch (slightly heaping)
2 tablespoons cocoa (heaping)
1 pinch salt
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 cups milk (I used whole milk)


Combine all dry ingredients until all lumps are gone and blended well

Add milk and place on burner turned to high -- stir constantly until desired thickness. I stopped when it was slightly thinner than what I wanted, but once in the fridge it was more mousse-y than puddingy. I'm not sure if the better way is to stop sooner, use part cream or less cornstarch. I'll mess around with it and see what happens.

Remove from heat and add vanilla


Then of course, the pudding pie is basic - pour prepared pudding into cooled crust - cool - top with whipped cream and ganache style chocolate (recipe below)



I also made a lower carb dessert - a cheesecake tart. I had an idea of what I wanted, especially having all that homemade cream cheese on hand- then just needed a recipe to guide me. So this one is inspired from the Good Housekeeping Almond Cheesecake Tart

 My version:

Almond Cheesecake Tart. 





Crust
1 cup almond flour (or crushed blanched almonds)
1 graham cracker
3 tbs butter, melted
1 tbs xylitol


Filling
12 oz cream cheese
1/3 cup xylitol
2 large eggs (I might do 3 next time)
1/4 tsp vanilla extract
1/4 tsp almond extract
1/3 cup sour cream (I think I'd add more next time)

Put crust mix into pie pan (I used a cake pan). You should probably press up the sides to form a secure crust, but I just pressed it into the bottom. Bake at 375 for 8 minutes.

Combine cream cheese and sugar and mix well. Add rest of filling ingredients and mix until smooth.

Lower oven temp to 350.

Pour filling into prepared crust and bake for 20 minutes (I cooked mine for 25). Cool on rack.

Cover with whipped cream (recipe above) drizzle with chocolate ganache


Ganache style chocolate

4 oz chocolate, I used an 85% cocoa bar
2 tbs butter
4 tbs heavy cream

heat all ingredients in saucepan on high until it comes to a boil, turn down heat and simmer for 5 minutes. Cool slightly and drizzle over pudding pie and cheesecake tart.



I also tried out a few more summer time recipes that I'll be sharing this week - Happy Summer!

2 comments:

Sara said...

Lordy! That looks delicious! I'm hungry for chocolate now. :D

Valkyrie said...

Oh, everything looks scrumptious and pretty too!

I have made homemade pudding in the past, but I have much more complex method, and it's kind of a pain in the ass, frankly. But it turns out so delicious. I make caramel pudding only--never any other kind.

How are those sweeteners? Good? Bad? Indifferent?