Monday, June 14, 2010

strawberry rhubarb crisp with rhubarb ice cream.

mmmm rhubarb.

This weekend I made the strawberry rhubarb crisp I mentioned the other day. So far I've tried it and Evan has tried it. Colin won't and Kevin kind of pretends it doesn't exist.

Evan likes it. It's ok. Nothing to write home about, but a quick, easy, tasty way to use some rhubarb.


Molly Katzan's Strawberry Rhubarb Crisp




2 pounds fresh rhubarb cut into 1" chunks
3-4 cup sliced strawberries
1/3 - 1/2 cup white sugar  ( I used a mix of xylitol and sucant to equal 1/3 cup)
2-3 tablespoons brown sugar
1 cup rolled oats
1 cup flour  (I used 1 cup of almond flour)
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/8 teaspoon allspice
1/8 teaspoon nutmeg
1/4 teaspoon salt
5 tablespoons melted butter

Preheat oven to 375° F.

Combine the rhubarb and strawberries in a 9" square pan. Sprinkle with white sugar. Mix together remaining ingredients in a medium sized bowl. Distribute over the top of the fruit and pat firmly into place.

Bake uncovered for 35 - 40 minutes or until the top is crisp and lightly browned and the fruit is bubbling around the edges.

Serve hot, warm or at room temperature, plain or a la mode.



I also got it in my head I wanted to make rhubarb ice cream. But I was feeling very lazy, and didn't want to do a custard base and also didn't want to push the rhubarb through a sieve. So as a result the ice cream is more like a frozen ygourt texture and there were some chunks of rhubarb. Also, I didn't use the full amount of rhubarb, and I threw in a couple strawberries for color. If I did it again, I'd try a custard base for a creamier texture and I'd make sure I used the whole amount of rhubarb for a fuller flavor.



Rhubarb Ice Cream

6 cups diced fresh rhubarb (I used about 3 cups)
1 1/2 cups sugar
2 cups water
1/4 cup lemon juice
1/2 teaspoon salt
4 cups heavy cream (I used 3 cups of heavy cream and 1 cup 1/2 and 1/2, cause that's what I had on hand)
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/4 teaspoon red food coloring, or to get desired color (I did not use)
3 cups milk (I used whole, cream on top, milk)


In a 2 quart saucepan over medium-low heat, combine rhubarb, sugar, water, lemon juice, and salt. Simmer, uncovered, for 10 minutes, or until rhubarb is tender. Cool thoroughly.

Combine cooled rhubarb mixture with heavy cream, vanilla, and red food coloring. Pour into a 1 gallon freezer container. Add milk, filling 2.3 full. Freeze, following ice cream freezer directions.
Makes 1 gallon.


3 comments:

Sara said...

The rhubarb crisp looks amazing!!! I love it. Noms!

Ariella said...

omigoodness--- so divine!!

gardenmama said...

what gorgeous recipes!
i am inspired to try my hand at making ice cream!