Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Letting the days go by . . .

Seems like one or some or all of us at a time have been sick since the holidays. We can't shake it. We're normally not sick people. We don't get flu shots because we never get the flu (though we probably wouldn't get them anyway). We get occasional colds and that's it.

I haven't been doing much but sleeping and working for well near a week now. The kids get on the bus and I pass back out until about 10, then get up and get ready for work. I just can't get enough sleep.

I took my youngest to the doctor Friday for what I suspected was some sort of bladder infection. Nope. Ear infection, bronchitis/pneumonia. I'll tell ya, I felt like mother of the year being oblivious to all that.

His first sick child visit in his life was when he was three. I think this was his second sick child visit. My oldest hasn't been in for a sick child visit for about 5 years.

I thought I was doing something right, but now I wonder. Colin (my youngest) did complain of an ear ache about 3 weeks ago. But it was just for one night, with no fever. We gave him some pain relief, ear drops and a warm cloth and that was it.
The doctor did say that the ear infection was almost healed, on it's own. Which is good, I guess - but it worries me I didn't know. My father had an ear infection last March that went untreated and now he's totally deaf in that ear. He's 56. They say the kind of deafness it is, a hearing aid won't help (?) I would be devastated if that happened to one of my children because I didn't take them to a doctor.

The bronchitis I didn't know about either. He's had a bit of a cough the past week, but nothing severe and he's been croupy/coughy in Feb and March every year for the past few years.

The doctor didn't seem concerned, but I felt horrible. Colin felt ok though - he never once complained.

Unlike me and my sore throat/cold. I whine about it all the time. It freaking hurts man!

I've been reading a lot again lately though. It's nice. I work evenings and my job is to answer phones. But I'm glued to a seat 10-12 hours a day and that's no good for my (ever expanding) rear. So I've been pacing the halls and reading. I finished Eat, Pray, Love this week. I really liked it. I needed a book like that. It was refreshing, inspiring.

I almost never buy new books. I just like used books better. Not just for the price, but for the feel of them too. They've got something about them a new book just doesn't have. I just placed an order on Amazon for several new books though (and I have a couple saved for later to remind myself that I want them! I'll try and find them used on my journeys or order later in the summer).

Coming soon, to my house (yay!):

 


  

  


  

  

ok, that last one is the movie not a book, but I'm still excited!

Now if only some of that East Coast storm would hit meeeee so I would have an excuse to snuggle inside and read!

2 comments:

Jodi said...

I have Country Wisdom and Know How. There is a lot of useful information in there.

I hope you guys are all feeling better. And don't beat yourself up. Sometimes it's hard to tell how sick the kiddos are if they don't tell you!

Sara said...

Those books look great! Let me know how they are, maybe you'd consider loaning them? :)

Hope you get to feeling better soon. I'm sick, too, so I feel your pain.